Being happy is a state of mind yet folks get mired into what is happening around them and decide to stay unhappy. Or let’s say they do not decide to stay happy.
Key to Happiness: Events which are not favorable should stay with you as a Story in Life and not the Story of Life! <Tweet This>
I was in an animated discussion with a friend on this topic and it came to fore that being happy is not that difficult though staying unhappy is easier. The trick is to understand and dispel the impact stuff has on you. Here is what we discussed:
- Something is better than nothing: We keep complaining about how we do not have everything – yes you heard it. Look around you – you have family, friends, job, transportation, connected devices, media, food, and the internet. Why are you sad? If you do not have something right now, then focus on what you have.
- Maximize what you have: Your lover is visiting your city and can only spend 2 hours with you and you go all frenzy and start the fight (and keep justifying that you deserve more) and eventually waste those 2 hours as well. In your struggle to get more, you wasted what you had – you and your lover are unhappy as well. You also managed to do some damage to the relation.
- Instead, plan how you will make the most of those 2 hours and make those beautiful memories.
- Give 110% when you are down: Your management isn’t giving you a raise or promotion you deserve and you start to withdraw while you look for other opportunities. Guess what 2 outcomes exist:
- You get the new opportunity and you move on: But you have left a bad name for yourself and burned the bridges for you to ever come back. If you do continue to give more, who knows what could be the possibilities. What if your new employer conducts a ref-check on attitude and performance? What if your current management realizes their mistake and now want to promote you and give you a fatter raise?
- You do not get the new opportunity: You ensured your performance is down and you stay where you were. No one promotes employees who hold back. If you continue to perform, there may be newer opportunities which will open up. Also, your performance will continue to put pressure on people to reward you adequately.
I got this forward video and I would like all of you to see this and soak in the message.
Question: What do you do to stay happy? Reply and share your secret sauce.
- This Monday, decide what you want in life!
- May be. Live with it.
- 3 tips to avoid Rash Decisions
- Leaders are never born, they become!